Awareness is being spreaded among public to accept them as natural partners of growth and provide them access to various services and equal participation in social life to form an inclusive society. The Government of Tamil Nadu through various policies and initiatives have extended full support to the Differently Abled Persons in their pursuit of full and equal involvement in every aspect of society. Various schemes have been announced by the Government to make sure that the differently abled persons are in equal status with Society.
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 provides equal opportunities to Differently Abled Persons in India and ensure accessibility in Public Buildings (both government and private).
The thrust areas of Government are as follows:
- Prevention of disabilities
- Early detection and intervention
- Rehabilitation measures
- Providing Special Education
- Development of professionals for rehabilitation
- Provision for assistive devices
- Education and economic empowerment including self-employment
- Formation of barrier free environment Social security.
District Differently Abled Welfare Office, Karur
In 1997 for welfare of Differently Abled Persons the District Differently Abled Welfare Office, Karur was formed and it is functioning at Collectorate, Karur-7.
The District Differently abled welfare officer,
District Differently abled welfare office,
Room No.7, Ground Floor,
Karur – 639007.